https://i2.wp.com/highergroundstudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/chkdsk-611.png?fit=1440%2C900 900 1440 Kyle King http://highergroundstudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/hgs_logo_spacestation.png Kyle King2012-04-11 21:55:552012-05-03 19:09:38Quick Tip: Corrupted Hard Drive
Ever unplugged an external hard drive and had the problem where windows 7 wants to reformat the drive even though all of your data is on there? Here is a quick tip to fix that corrupted hard drive:
- Plug the hard drive in and click cancel on formatting the hard drive
- Open command prompt in elevated admin mode: Search Command Prompt in the start menu and then right click on command prompt then on Run as Administrator. Click yes on the User Account Control.
- Command prompt opens up and you are under something like c:Windowssystem32. Make sure you know the drive letter for the corrupted hard drive.
- Let’s say your corrupted drive is f:. Type chkdsk f: /f /r and then enter.
- It will take a long time to run this as it is attempting to check, fix, and repair your hard drive. My 1tb drive took a little over 5 hours to complete.
- This should fix any problems rather than having to recover your data using a program like test disk. Scarily this is a lot faster as well.